Posted by Kat Stein on 18th Aug 2015
As we head into the last few weeks of summer, it is important to maintain the health of our skin. Sun burns, dry skin, and dehydration sometimes happen when we are out enjoying the beautiful weather, but they are all completely avoidable! Who doesn't want to keep their skin glowing into autumn? We've put together some tips on staying happy and hydrated as you finish up all your summer adventures.
1. Drink plenty of water. The best way to stay hydrated is to carry around a clear water bottle. It is important to drink enough water throughout the day so that you don’t feel ever feel thirsty, as this is the first stage of dehydration. Having a clear water bottle with you at all times will remind you to sip on water throughout the day and keep your body hydrated! I have a super cool bottle called “citrus zinger” that has a juicer on the bottom, so sometimes I add a little lemon or lime juice to give my water some flavor!
2. Cut back on caffeine and alcohol. Both alcohol and drinks with caffeine in them strip your body of fluids and cause dehydration. That’s not to say you can’t ever drink coffee or alcoholic beverages, just make sure you counter each one with a glass of water. Don’t forget, staying hydrated will prevent hangovers!
3. Watch what products you use on your skin. Many commercial brand skin care products actually contain alcohol, as well as other chemicals such as salicylic acid, retinols, or benzoyl peroxide. All of these things will dry out your skin, leading you to think you need to put more products on your skin, which leads to drying it out even more, and the cycle continues. When this happens, your body overcompensates and thinks it needs to create more oil to make up for the loss of moisture in the skin which then can clog your pores and cause acne. A general rule of thumb is that if the product you are using makes suds, it is stripping the moisture from your skin and should be avoided. Gifts From The Earth facial scrubs and cleansers are perfect because they cleanse and exfoliate your skin without drying it out.
4. Moisturize your skin. Ideally, you would moisturize twice a day, but it is most important that you moisturize after cleansing your skin so that your skin doesn’t try to create extra oil, which can clog your pores and cause acne. If possible, moisturize in the morning after showering, then again at night after removing your makeup. Some people prefer a heavier moisturizer before bed, but I use the same one both morning and night! Make sure your whole body is happy and throw some lotion on after a long day of playing outside, when you wake up, or after shaving. Your skin will feel great, and who doesn't want silky smooth legs?
5. Don’t over exfoliate. I, of all people, know how great exfoliating feels, but when it is done too much it can cause irritated, cracked and chapped skin. Try to limit heavy exfoliating to once a week, and use another kind of skin cleanser on the other days. It is tempting to exfoliate when you feel like you have dry skin, but try not to overdo it and just apply some moisturizer instead. Being gentle is usually the best way to go.
6. Diet. Eating enough fruits and vegetables everyday is important for staying healthy but also for keeping your skin glowing and hydrated. I make sure I eat enough fruits and veggies during the day by planning it out ahead of time. Even if you don’t plan your entire meals, just make a mental note of which vegetables and fruits you will eat throughout the day. For example, today I ate an apple with breakfast, I plan on having a kiwi and a salad with lunch, and I will make steamed broccoli with dinner. Make sure to eat a leafy green veggie at least once a day and your body will thank you!
Kat is a 23-year-old musician living in Philadelphia and the daughter of Gifts From The Earth owner, Marianne. She has used Gifts From The Earth products her entire life, and is very passionate about natural skincare and mineral makeup!